The Heligoat Cheese, Black Bean Burger Recipe
Manbque is known for being all about meat, but every once a while we try to show off that we’re all encompassing masters of the grill and not just some simple minded meat geeks, which isn’t a terrible thing at all. Regardless, being a master of the grill means taking on any challenge, no matter how difficult or vegetarian it may be.
Last summer our friends, The Heligoats, were in Chicago for a show at the Hideout and we couldn’t pass on the opportunity to grill with the band. The Godfather whipped up a Heligoat Cheeseburger and life was good. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and we were getting ready to hang out with The Heligoats again for an interview, this time Chris Otepka, the frontman of Heligoats, was doing a solo show had mentioned that he would be cool with a black bean burger this time around. It was a natural, Manbque reaction to get angry, laugh and cry while wondering why no meat was involved. Alas, we put our meat ego to the side, were intrigued and this is what happened…
We present to you, the Heligoat Cheese black bean burger!
The Heligoat Cheese, Black Bean Burger Recipe Recipe
By June 13, 2012Published:
Manbque is known for being all about meat, but every once a while we try to show off that we're all encompassing masters of the grill …
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 poblano pepper cut into small pieces
- 1/2 onion cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Kosher salt (The Heligoat Cheese Spread)
- Goat cheese
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Old Bay seasoning
- Black Bean Burger:
Preheat grill, get to high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- Place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side.
- The Heligoat Cheese Spread:
There is no set recipe for the Heligoat cheese spread, just mix your ingredients in a small bowl. The secret is to not go heavy on the salt or Old Bay.