Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe: Opa, mofos
It is an indisputable fact of life in Chicago – really anywhere – that the best sandwiches come served over the counter, wrapped in paper. Whether it’s a torta, German thuringer, or beef on weck, we will be there, waiting like lions on the African savannah. Except without the speed, stealth, or Dariwnian kill-excellence.
It’s nice to be able to eat something amazing and feel pretty sure that you can give it a try yourself at home. Plus, you know, we eat standing up at ManBQue. Eliminates a lot of the foams and sous-vides.
As with the
Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe: Opa, mofos Recipe
By August 2, 2012Published:
It is an indisputable fact of life in Chicago - really anywhere - that the best sandwiches come served over the counter, wrapped in …
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs, cubed to 1" Chicken Setup
- 1 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 cup olive oil Shallot-Mustard Sauce Setup
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp Dijon
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 medium shallot minced
- 1/2 head white cabbage, shredded Slaw Setup
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 4 pocketless pitas
- 1/4 lb feta cheese crumbled
- Metal or soaked bamboo skewers
- Mix the oil, salt and herbs in a large bag or marinading container. Place the chicken in and let marinade for 30 min. to 1 hour.
- Make the dressing by mixing the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, herbs, and seasoning. Stir in shallots and set aside.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with sugar and toss with cabbage and carrots.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high (~475-500) and oil grates.
- Remove chicken from marinade, shake off excess salt and herbs, and thread chicken onto skewers.
- Grill chicken over direct heat, turning every 90 seconds. You'll want to bring it to 165, and the chicken will cook fast. Keep on it until the chicken reaches about 160, then remove and let rest under foil.
- While chicken rests, place pitas on the grill. Turn pitas 90 degrees after 20-25 seconds, then flip and repeat for cross-hatched grill marks. Serve chicken on pitas with slaw, cheese, and dressing.