This week’s recipe came from Death Toll Scholl at the last ManBQue MEATing. As you can see above, it has everyone’s Seal of Approval. It is proof that we men of the grill can do dessert as well as anyone. It’s also easy to prep beforehand, meaning that you can blow off the faces of your guests without much of a break from that glass of Wild Turkey. You’ve got delicious bacon, creamy marshmallows, chocolate with a kick, and graham cracker to add texture.
If you can get fancy-pants marshmallows, go for it. But with a food like s’mores, it’s about emotional attachment as much as anything. If you grew up on blackened Stay-Pufts, then go for it. Just don’t think of the Marshmallow Man when Gozer the Gozerian asks you to choose the method of your doom.
Bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least 30 min prior to assembly
Large marshmallows are excellent for this recipe. The thing about food packaging at present is that large is never the biggest size. There’s also jumbo. Don’t use those – you want the perfect bacon-chocolate-cracker ratio in concert with a well-sized marshamallow. That’s just science.
Bacon S’Mores Recipe
By October 3, 2012Published:
This week's recipe came from Death Toll Scholl at the last ManBQue MEATing. As you can see above, it has everyone's Seal of …
- 1 bag large marshmallows
- 1 lb bacon
- 1/2 lb bar semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1-2 tsp paprika or cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 package crushed graham crackers
- Par-cook bacon strips in the oven (20 min) or pan (5-8 min over med/med-low heat) until done but not crunchy. Remove and let cool.
- Cut bacon strips in half.
- Light the grill. Meanwhile, create a double boiler to melt the chocolate – fill the bottom foil container with water, set the second on top filled with chocolate – set on grill to melt (around 20 minutes). Stir chocolate only one direction (either clockwise or counterclockwise) to maintain smooth, glossy texture. Add paprika or cayenne to taste.
- Wrap bacon around marshmallow and secure using skewer. Three or four can fit on each.
- Once the chocolate is fully melted, place bacon wrapped marshmallows on the grill and cook to desired doneness while rotating continuously. Everyone has a personal perference for the level of char they demand. We would not presume to put a time on that.
- Take the double boiler off of the grill and drizzle chocolate over the bacon wrapped marshmallows, dust with graham cracker. Eat.